BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Lynn baseball team fell behind, 5-0, in the second inning, but multiple homers, extra base hits and an impressive outing by Michael Imperato (put up four zeroes on the scoreboard) gave the Blue and White a chance to come back and defeat the Cougars, 9-6, on Sunday afternoon.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 9, Columbus State 6
Records: Lynn (4-3), Columbus State (3-4)
Location: Lynn Baseball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Columbus State leads the series, 10-9
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS of THE GAME:
- Catcher Karl Ellison had a monster day at the plate, reaching safely all four at-bats, hitting 3-for-3 – a double shy of the cycle- with a walk, four RBI and two runs scored.
- Jake Rouse and Jonathon Corbitt both earned two hits at the plate, going 2-for-3 on the day. Also reaching safely on the day were Tyler Curtis (1-for-2), Frank Grandinette (1-for-3) and Willie Seay (1-for-3).
- Imperato earned the victory for the Fighting Knights, going 4.1 IP in relief, while not allowing an earned run to cross the plate. The newcomer also struck out four.
- The Blue and White pitching staff did well in jams in today's outing, stranding nine Cougar runners on base, while the home squad made the most of their opportunities, only stranding three.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- This was Jaret Vermillion's first start of the 2017 season.
- Imperato earned his first victory of the season. Daniel Nuzzi recorded his first save of the year.
- This is the fourth game that the Fighting Knights have recorded 10 or more hits in the early season.
- Ellison had a perfect game at the plate, but ended up one double shy of hitting the cycle.
- Enrique Perez hit the mound for the fourth time this season, and still has not given up an earned run.
The Fighting Knights will hit the road for a four-game road trip, and play Clark-Atlanta on Thursday, Feb. 16, before competing in a weekend series versus North Georgia.