Saint Leo, Fla. – When it rains, it pours, and the Lynn University baseball team made it flood on Saturday, when the Fighting Knights got the best of the Lions 13-7 in game one, and 12-10 in game two. After dropping game one on Friday night, the Blue and White scored 25 runs on 35 to back end the series win.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 20 Lynn 13, Saint Leo 7; No. 20 Lynn 12, Saint Leo 10
Records: Lynn (25-12, 8-7 SSC), Saint Leo (18-16, 3-9 SSC)
Location: Thomas B. Southard Stadium | Saint Leo ,Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn trails in the series, 40-32
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1:
- Frank Grandinette was able to grind out a win in his weekend start, improving his season record to 4-3. He went 6.0 innings pitched and gave up five earned runs on 12 hits.
- Enrique Perez came in to finish the contest, and picked up his second save of the year, going 3.0 complete innings giving up just one earned run in his outing.
- Eight different members in the Fighting Knights lineup managed to get a hit, and Alex Turner led the way with four base knocks. Four different guys had three hits – Pat Dorrian, Karl Ellison, Gabe Martinez and Jonathon Corbitt. Miguel Ceballos had two while Tyler Curtis and Jarren Pinkney had one each.
- Seven different members of the Blue and White managed to knock in at least one run. Corbitt led the way with four RBIs, while three players had two and three with one.
- Curtis, Ellison (2) and Corbitt went yard in the first game.
- Game 2:
- Michael Imperato got the start, but the first inning did not go as planned, giving up a 5-spot in 0.2 innings of work.
- The ball was handed off to Jonathan Wake, who worked 4.0 innings, giving up one run on five hits and two strikeouts.
- Jonathan EIsdorfer, Daniel Nuzzi and Perez came in to finish the tightly-contested ballgame. Nuzzi went on to get his fourth victory of the year, while Perez was cominant, picking up his second save of the day, and third of the season.
- Four different Lynn players hit the ball out of the park – Ceballos, Curtis, Corbitt and Pinkney.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Five Fighting Knight batters hit bombs in the double header, including two apiece for Ellison, Curtis and Corbitt.
- Curtis's inside-the-park home run was the first of its kind since the Fighting Knights won a National Title in 2009.
- Alex Turner's four base hits were a new career-high for the Blue and White outfielder.
- The Fighting Knights have been a dominant hitting team, and own a team average of .354, slugging percentage of .590, and have sent 74 balls out of the park through just 37 games.
- Hitting Streaks: Dorrian (9) and Curtis (9).
The Fighting Knights continue their road trip with a nonconference match up with St. Thomas on Tuesday, April 11 at 6:00 p.m.