BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Lynn University baseball team scored a pair of runs in the first inning and never looked back, taking down No. 1 Delta State in the season opener by a final score of 7-0. Enrique Perez tossed five shutout innings to grab the win, while Anthony Franco worked four scoreless to pick up a save. Gabe Martinez led the offense with a 2-for-4 performance, hitting a home run and driving in three runs.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 7, No. 1 Delta State 0
Records: Lynn (1-0), Delta State (0-1)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Delta State leads, 3-2-1 (Last met in 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Perez's 5.0 scoreless innings were good for his longest scoreless outing at Lynn, topping his previous best of 3.0 scoreless innings. It was also the longest outing of his career for the Fighting Knights, surpassing his high of 4.0 innings of work in a win over then-No. 1 Nova Southeastern last season. He scattered four hits and three strikeouts without walking a batter.
- Franco held the Statesmen's bats at bay for the final four innings, allowing just two hits with no walks and a strikeout for the long-relief save.
- Martinez was the only batter for the Blue and White to record a multi-hit performance, as he added an RBI base hit to his two-run blast in the contest.
- Patrick Dorrian, Jake Rouse and DJ Daniels each tallied a hit in the first game of the season for the Fighting Knights, while Tom Archer, Joe Argumedo, Tyler Green and Gabe Gomez added base knocks in their first career games for Lynn. Gomez also had a big play on the defensive side, preserving the shutout by robbing a home run in the ninth inning.
- Archer led off the game with a double, advancing to third on an errant throw before scoring on a wild pitch to give the Fighting Knights an early lead.
- Shayne Fontana drew a pair of walks in the game and scored a run in the first inning, crossing the plate as Delta State traded a run for a double play.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Only three of Lynn's starting nine players were on the squad a season ago, as Archer, Fontana, Argumedo, Green, Gomez and Anthony Sanabria made their Lynn debuts.
- The Fighting Knights played well against nationally-ranked teams last season, going 6-3 against teams ranked in the top-25. That record included a win over No. 1 Nova Southeastern.
- The last time these two teams faced off was in the NCAA South Region tournament in 2016, with Delta State topping Lynn, 6-1.
- This was Lynn's first opening-day shutout on record, and biggest opening-day win since the 2009 season when it took down St. Thomas, 23-9.
- Fighting Knight pitchers snapped a 52-game reached-base streak for power-hitting first baseman Zack Shannon of the Statesmen, one that spanned nearly the entirety of the 2017 season for Delta State.
- The Statesmen hadn't lost a season-opening game since 2015, when Sunshine State Conference member Nova Southeastern knocked them off, 10-3.
Lynn is back on the diamond on Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m. when they take on No. 18 Catawba.