BOCA RATON, Fla. - Lynn University's baseball team held a 6-3 lead with three innings to play but inconsistencies on the led to 12 runs as Saint Leo defeated the Fighting Knights 15-6 in the third and final game of the series. Shayne Fontana, Tom Archer, Patrick Dorrian and Jake Rouse collected three hits apiece.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Saint Leo 15, Lynn 6
Records: Saint Leo (10-2, 3-0 SSC), Lynn (7-7, 0-3 SSC)
Location: Lynn Baseball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Saint Leo leads 42-32
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Unlike previous games in the series, Lynn jumped on the scoring early and gained a 4-0 lead through two frames.
- Jake Rouse provided much of the offensive firepower, going 3-for-4 with three runs batted in and a run scored.
- Fontanta was 3-for-4 with two runs in the leadoff position while Archer went 3-for-5 with two RBI and Dorrian 3-for-5.
- Rigo Beltran tossed six innings, allowing three unearned runs on six hits with three walks and seven strikeouts.
- Lynn's bullpen, though, allowed 12 runs on six hits with seven walks and one hit batsmen in three innings.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Beltran's seven strikeouts were his most since May 21, 2016 when he fanned seven against West Florida in the NCAA Tournament.
- The top of Lynn's lineup went 13-for-23 with five RBIs and five runs scored while the bottom half was 1-for-13 with a run.
- Dorrian and Rouse extended their streak of reaching base safely to 14 consecutive games while Dorrian's hitting streak stands at seven games and Rouse's five.
Lynn takes to the road to battle Rollins College in a three-game series beginning Friday, Mar. 2, at 6 p.m. in Winter Park, Fla. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.