BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Lynn University baseball team was unable to overcome an early deficit on Friday afternoon, falling to No. 4 Tampa in a Sunshine State Conference battle at the Lynn Baseball Field. The Spartans tallied four runs in the first inning and never looked back, winning by a final score of 14-2.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Scores: No. 4 Tampa 14, Lynn 2
Records: Lynn 19-13 (8-8 SSC), No. 4 Tampa 23-5 (12-1 SSC)
Location: Lynn Baseball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads, 72-24 (Tampa has won nine straight)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Shayne Fontana and Tyler Green each tallied two hits and a run in the game to account for a majority of the Blue and White's offense.
- Tom Archer walked twice and drove in a run in the fifth inning, while Alejandro Martinez drove in Lynn's other run with an RBI single in the eighth inning.
- Anthony Franco shouldered the loss for Lynn on the mound, working 4.0 innings and allowing nine runs, eight earned, on 11 hits. He struck out two batters without a walk.
- Zack Miednik worked 3.0 innings of relief for the Fighting Knights, striking out two and allowing just one run on three hits.
- Connor Davis worked the final 2.0 innings for the Blue and White, allowing four runs, two earned, on five hits and two walks.
- Tampa's David Lebron scattered five hits over 7.0 innings with eight strikeouts to earn the win, while the Spartans' Darren Miller, Harrison Bragg and Brandon Gali drove in two runs each offensively.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Patrick Dorrian notched Lynn's first hit of the game in the fourth inning, extending his on-base streak to 31 games to open the season.
- Fontana's two hits game him 12 multi-hit games this season, while Green now has eight such games.
- The loss gives Lynn back-to-back losses for the first time since the first week of March.
The two teams face off in a doubleheader on Saturday to close out the series. First pitch is scheduled for noon at the Lynn Baseball Field.