BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Lynn University baseball team fell twice at the hands of the fourth-ranked University of Tampa on the Lynn Baseball Field on Saturday afternoon in a Sunshine State Conference doubleheader, first dropping a 12-inning marathon, 3-2, before losing 12-9 in a darkness-shortened affair after seven innings.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Scores: Game 1 - No. 4 Tampa 3, Lynn 2 (12 inn.); Game 2 – No. 4 Tampa 12, Lynn 9 (7 inn.)
Records: Lynn 19-15 (8-10 SSC), No. 3 Tampa 25-5 (14-1 SSC)
Location: Lynn Baseball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads, 74-24 (Tampa has won 11 straight)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Game 1
- Game one was a pitchers' duel, as Rigo Beltran tossed 7.0 innings for his third consecutive quality start. The senior fanned four batters while scattering seven hits and three walks. He earned a no-decision before giving way to Enrique Perez.
- Perez tossed the final 5.0 innings of relief for the Blue and White, allowing just three hits and one unearned run, striking out five in the process. He shouldered the tough-luck loss, allowing Tampa's third and final run to cross in the 12th inning.
- Alejandro Martinez and Joe Argumedo each tallied two hits in the first game of the doubleheader, with Martinez added a walk and Argumedo reaching once via hit-by-pitch.
- Gabe Martinez drove in Lynn's first run of the game with a base hit into left field, while Shayne Fontana drove in the game-tying run in the bottom of the eighth inning with a line drive into left-center field.
- Lynn turned three double plays in the game-one loss, the third time this season the Fighting Knights turned three double plays in a game.
- Game 2
- The Blue and White got on the board first in game two, as Alejandro Martinez drove in a run on a groundout. He finished game two with two runs scored and an RBI, walking once in addition to his hit.
- Tom Archer, Gabe Martinez, Patrick Dorrian, Cal Bocchino and Alec Ojeda each had multi-hit games in game two, with Ojeda driving in a team-high three runs.
- Archer finished with a run and an RBI, while Bocchino scored twice with an RBI to his name.
- Willie Seay added a pair of runs after reaching base on a hit and a hit-by-pitch.
- Philip Quinn shouldered the loss, working 2.2 innings and allowing five earned runs on five hits and two walks. He struck out a career-high five batters, including four in a row at one point.
- Johnathon Wake, Daniel Nuzzi, Victor Danza and Alec Hernandez combined to throw the final 4.1 innings for the Blue and White, Danza working the longest stretch at 2.2 innings.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Dorrian has reached base in each of his first 33 games this season, drawing a walk in game one before tallying a pair of hits in game two. His streak has now reached 40 games dating back to last season.
- Lynn has not beaten Tampa since the 2012 season.
- The Fighting Knights are 1-4 in extra-inning games this season.
Lynn returns to the diamond on Friday for another SSC showdown with Florida Tech. First pitch is slated for 3 p.m. at the Lynn Baseball Field.