West Palm Beach, Fla. – The Lynn University baseball team carried a lead into the late innings, but Palm Beach Atlantic tied the game in the ninth before taking its second victory of the series in the home half of the 10th inning. Rigo Beltran turned in a spectacular outing in his final game as a Fighting Knight, tossing 8.0 innings and allowing just one earned run while striking out 10.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: PBA 4, Lynn 3 (10 innings)
Records: Lynn 22-27 (9-20 SSC), PBA 25-24 (13-16 SSC)
Location: J.M. "Jake" Rubin Park | West Palm Beach, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads, 40-28 (PBA is 3-0 head-to-head this year)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Beltran worked a career-high 8.0 innings in the no-decision, striking out 10 batters for the second time this season. He closed his day with seven consecutive shutout innings after allowing two runs—just one earned—in the home half of the first inning. He scattered five hits and one walk in the quality start.
- Gabe Gomez had a three-hit night at the plate, finishing 3-for-4 with a walk and a run.
- Patrick Dorrian went 2-for-5 at the dish, scoring a first-inning run for the Blue and White after reaching on a bunt single. He also stole his second base of the season.
- Jake Rouse and Willie Seay each had RBI doubles on the evening, and both added a walk to their stat line as well. Rouse finished 1-for-4, while Seay went 1-for-3 on the night.
- Tyler Green launched his ninth home run of the season, blasting one to left field to give Lynn a 3-2 lead in the sixth inning.
- Enrique Perez shouldered the loss, allowing two earned runs in 1.2 innings of relief.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Beltran was just the second Lynn starting pitcher to throw 8.0 innings in a game this season, joining Daniel Nuzzi who tossed 8.0 innings against Embry-Riddle on April 20.
- Dorrian has reached base safely in all 48 games he has played this season, and 55 games straight dating back to last year.
- It was the fifth extra-innings game of the year for the Fighting Knights, dropping their record in extra frames to 1-4.
The series closes on Sunday at 1 p.m. at J.M. "Jake" Rubin Park in West Palm Beach.