Boca Raton, Fla. – The Lynn University baseball team mounted another late-inning comeback, scoring two runs in the last three innings to down the Tusculum University Pioneers in walk-off fashion, claiming the 7-6 victory. Tom Archer was the hero for the Fighting Knights, providing the game-winning single as part of a 3-for-5 day at the dish.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 7, Tusculum 6
Records: Lynn (2-1), Tusculum (1-3)
Location: Lynn Baseball Field| Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn trails 5-2
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Archer showed his veteran presence and leadership, setting the table with three hits from the leadoff spot, none bigger than the game-sealing RBI single, a blooper over the outstretched glove of TU's first baseman.
- Shayne Fontana homered for the second consecutive day, launching a three-run blast over the right field wall in the third inning. Fontana went 2-for-3 with 3 RBI and two runs scored on the day.
- Alec Ojeda continued his hot-hitting to begin the 2019 campaign, pounding out two hits, an RBI double in the third and the game-tying RBI single in the bottom of the seventh.
- Anthony Sanabria scored the game-winning run in the ninth after a lead-off double to the deepest part of the park in right center as part of a two-hit day at the plate.
- Samuel Beck, today's starting pitcher, navigated his way through 3.1 innings, surrendering five runs, two of which were solo home runs by Tusculum's Daulton Martin.
- Jake Buxbaum was dynamic in relief, throwing 2.2 innings of scoreless baseball, escaping a bases-loaded, no-out jam in the top of the sixth.
- Connor Davis earned the win, pitching 2.1 innings and giving up just one hit and no runs, striking out three.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The win for Lynn snaps a four-game losing streak to Tusculum, last defeating the Pioneers on Feb. 19, 2006.
- Through two games at Lynn University Field, the Fighting Knights and their opponents have combined for five home runs.
- Both winning decisions for the Blue and White have come in relief with Alec Hernandez picking up the win yesterday in their home opener.
- Fontana now has two homers in three games after hitting six in 47 games a year ago.
The Blue and White continue to play host to their non-conference slate, welcoming Tuskegee University for a three-game series next Friday and Saturday, Feb. 8-9.