Boca Raton, Fla. – Lynn University's baseball team exploded for 18 runs on 14 hits on Friday afternoon, securing the series-opening win against the visiting Tuskegee Golden Tigers 18-2. Cal Bocchino launched two three-run home runs to pace the offense and James Buckley added a grand slam for the red-hot Fighting Knight attack.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 18, Tuskegee 2
Records: Lynn (3-1), Tuskegee (0-2)
Location: Lynn Baseball Field| Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 10-0
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Bocchino went yard in the second and fourth innings, of which his second put the Blue and White ahead comfortably 11-0.
- With the bases loaded, Buckley's homer broke the game open in the third as it just cleared the right field wall, putting Lynn in front 7-0.
- Nicholis Prather got the start to open the series for the Fighting Knights and pitched a gem, going 6.0 strong innings and striking out nine while scattering just three hits.
- His battery-mate, Joe Argumedo had an outstanding day behind the plate and at the dish, going 2-for-3 with four runs scored, two RBI and two walks.
- Zack Miednik and Nicholas Schmidt finished off the final 3.0 innings for Lynn, securing Prather's first victory in the Blue and White.
- Seth Hojnacki came up to pinch-hit in the eighth and made the most of his opportunity, smashing a two-run single down the left field line.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Bocchino and Argumedo both entered the game hitless on the young season, but responded in a big way, going a combined 4-for-5 with six runs scored and eight RBI.
- Through three games at Lynn University Field, the Fighting Knights and their opponents have combined for eight home runs.
- Anthony Sanabria was the only member of skipper Rudy Garbalosa's squad to play all 9.0 innings.
- Lynn plated 18 runs overall despite its starting 1-4 hitters going just 3-for-12, a testament to the depth of the Fighting Knight lineup.
In pursuit of the series sweep, the Blue and White do battle with the Golden Tigers again tomorrow, Feb. 9 for a doubleheader beginning at 12:00 p.m. at the Lynn Baseball Field.