BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's men's basketball team held a comfortable lead for the majority of Saturday's nonconference matchup until a 13-0 spurt from Armstrong State University with under five minutes to play made things interesting. The Fighting Knights were able to hold off the Pirates down the stretch to earn their fifth win of the season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 83, Armstrong State 79
Records: Lynn (5-3), ASU (1-5)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series: Lynn leads 4-0 (last meeting Nov. 15, 2014)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After trading buckets for the first six minutes of action, Lynn fired off an 11-2 run to open up a 20-12 advantage with the help of two three-pointers from Denzel Richardson.
- A Russell Wilson triple at the 5:54 mark advanced Lynn's edge to 16 points and Allen Baez found Vieux Kande underneath the rim with 22 seconds left to give the home side a 42-26 lead at halftime.
- Richardson and David Johnson hit double-figures in the first half with Fred Landers bringing down five boards.
- The Pirates couldn't find a rhythm from long range in the first stanza, going 0-for-11 from beyond the arc in the first 20 minutes.
- Consecutive three-pointers from Ben Berry and Wilson handed the Fighting Knights their largest lead of the night, a 24-point (59-35) edge with 14:20 left in the game.
- Lynn was able to sustain a solid cushion for the next nine minutes until the Pirates got hot from the field.
- With 5:48 remaining and down 71-55, Armstrong State embarked on a 13-0 tear to cut the deficit to three points and put Lynn up against the wall.
- Landers, Wilson and Johnson combined to go 8-for-10 from the charity stripe down the stretch to keep Lynn out in front for the four-point victory.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Lynn produced five double-digit scorers for the second game in a row.
- Landers led the way with 18 points while recording six rebounds and a game-high two blocks.
- Johnson finished with 16 points and a team-high three steals. Richardson knocked down three triples to reach 11 points.
- Wilson produced another balanced line, scoring 10 points while leading the squad in rebounds (7) and assists (8).
- Pavle Raickovic didn't miss on the night, going 4-of-4 from the field and 2-for-2 at the line for 10 points in his most action yet this season.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn has produced five players in double-figures three times this season, including the past two games.
- The Pirates won the battle of the boards, 51-41.
Lynn will host the annual Residence Inn Boca Raton Holiday Classic next weekend, opening up with a 7:30 pm matchup against Southern Nazarene on Friday. Dec. 18. For more information on the tournament, click here.