Daytona Beach, Fla. – After trailing for the first 36 minutes of Saturday night's contest, the Lynn University men's basketball team's grit on the offensive glass ultimately paid off in the end. Pavle Raickovic broke an 84-84 tie in the final minute and scored Lynn's last three points to give the Fighting Knights an exciting 87-84 victory over Embry-Riddle University.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 87, Embry-Riddle 84
Records: Lynn (8-7), Embry-Riddle (10-5)
Location: ICI Center | Daytona Beach, Fla.
Series: Lynn leads 3-0 (Last meeting 1994)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Embry-Riddle came out of the gates red hot, firing off a 10-2 run to open up the scoring.
- Jamal Palmer and Raickovic came off the bench and provided a much-needed spark, leading Lynn on a 9-4 run to cut the deficit to six at the second media timeout.
- With under seven minutes left in the opening period, Embry-Riddle sank one of its eight first-half 3-pointers to force the largest lead of the game, 36-23.
- Ben Berry and Palmer locked in from long range to help initiate a 16-6 half-closing tear for Lynn, as the Eagles advantage was sliced to two points (49-47) at the intermission.
- Lynn received 25 points off the bench in the opening frame. Palmer concluded a spectacular first-half effort, shooting 5-of-6 from the field, 2-for-2 from long range and 3-for-3 at the line to tally a game-leading 15 points while dishing three helpers. Raickovic went 4-for-5 from the field for eight points and five rebounds.
- The Eagles notched the first five points of the second half, but Fred Landers responded with five straight of his own to get the Fighting Knights' offense going.
- Lynn achieved its first tie score of the game three minutes in but couldn't capitalize as Embry-Riddle regained a seven-point cushion.
- With 3:24 left in the game, Russell Wilson swiped the ball at half court and finished off the lay in to grant the Blue & White their first lead of the night, 82-81.
- Raickovic was sent to the foul line with 50 ticks remaining, converting 1-of-2 to break an 84-84 tie.
- The Eagles brought the ball down looking for a game-winning bucket, but an errant pass led to a costly turnover, giving the ball back to Lynn with 39 seconds left.
- Embry-Riddle didn't foul and Lynn's jumper from the paint missed, however Raickovic was there underneath to scoop up the offensive board and extend the edge to 87-84. The Eagles had a decent look from the arc as time expired but came up short.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Landers matched Embry-Riddle's Ognjen Miljkovic with a game-high 22 points.
- Palmer (18) and Raickovic (17) combined for 35 of Lynn's 37 bench points. Palmer was perfect from the free-throw line and dished four assists while Raickovic rounded out his first double-double of the season with 11 boards.
- Wilson finished with seven assists, six points and seven boards (six offensive).
- David Johnson hit double figures with 10 points and brought down eight rebounds, six being on the offensive glass.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn accumulated a massive 28 offensive rebounds (season-high), compared to eight for Embry-Riddle, leading to a 23-4 advantage in second-chance points.
- The Fighting Knights had their best outing at the charity stripe this season, converting 11-of-14 (78.6%).
- These two teams haven't met on the hardwood since 1994 when Lynn defeated the Eagles twice in the same season.
Lynn returns home this Wednesday, Jan. 16 to square off against Palm Beach Atlantic at 7:30 p.m.