BOCA RATON, Fla. - Four starters scored in double-digits but it was not enough as the Lynn University men's basketball team dropped a close contest, 74-70, to Eckerd College on Saturday. Allen Baez and Ben Berry combined to score 26 points.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Eckerd 74, Lynn 70
Records: Lynn (10-12, 4-9 SSC), Eckerd (20-5, 10-3 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports & Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series: Lynn trails 15-26 (Last meeting Jan. 13, 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- First half
- The score was tied four times and there were four lead changes in a very even opening half.
- Eckerd led half of the first until Denzel Richardson knocked down a triple with 7:58 to play to knot the game 24-24. Richardson drained another basket, this time from the paint, to give Lynn its first lead of the game, 26-24.
- Berry and Baez connected on consecutive buckets to extend the run to 9-0 only to have the Tritons go on a 6-0 run to tie the game again.
- Shayne Phillips and Kevin Walsh broke a tie by sinking four straight shots from the free-throw line. Richardson hit a jumper with one minute to play to send Lynn into the break down 38-37.
- Second Half
- Berry opened the second half with a trey and baseline jumper and scored seven of his 13 points within the first four minutes.
- Baez picked up where Berry left off, scoring four consecutive points in a four-second span, and later dribbled into the paint for a layup through traffic to extend Lynn's lead 59-53.
- Another shot from the paint by the sophomore guard made it 63-56 but the Tritons followed with a 10-0 run to grab the lead 66-63.
STATS FROM THE GAME:
- Baez scored 13 points on 6-of-9 shooting. This is his second-highest scoring output of the season.
- Berry also scored 13 points on an identical 6-of-9 shooting.
- Russell Wilson tallied 10 points, eight rebounds and five assists.
- David Johnson came off the bench to log 11 points, seven rebounds and three blocked shots.
- Kevin Walsh led all scorers with 18 points.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Fred Landers was honored in the pre-game as the 11th player in program history to reach 1,000 career points.
- Landers was also held to a season-low two points, snapping a streak of 22 consecutive games with at least 10 points.
- Both Eckerd and Lynn logged 40 points from the paint with the Blue & White holding a 30-24 point edge in bench points.
Lynn is back in action on Wednesday, Feb. 17, at 7:30 pm when it travels to Melbourne, Fla., to battle Florida Tech. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.