BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's men's basketball team fell 94-82 to Palm Beach Atlantic in Sunshine State Conference action on Saturday afternoon despite all five starters scoring in double-figures and Vieux Kande setting a program record for total rebounds in a game.
Final: Palm Beach Atlantic 94, Lynn 82
Records: Palm Beach Atlantic (2-1, 1-1 SSC), Lynn (1-2, 0-2 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series: Lynn leads 14-9 all-time (last met Feb. 10, 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- 1st Half
- The lead changed three times in the opening three and a half minutes with Marquan Botley scoring from long-range to give the Fighting Knights their last lead of the game, 8-7.
- De'Ondre Jackson followed with a jumper in the paint, starting a 16-2 Sailfish run, which brought PBA's lead to 23-10.
- A 7-2 run by Lynn brought the deficit to single digits, 34-28, with Jamal Palmer capping his team's output with a running jumper in the lane.
- Palm Beach Atlantic built back a double-digit advantage only to have the Blue & White battle back. Palmer, Botley and Allen Baez combined for seven points as Lynn made it a four-point ballgame, 43-39, with three remaining.
- Unfortunately, PBA ended the half on a 9-3 run to head to the locker room ahead 52-42.
- 2nd Half
- Lynn quickly saw itself trailing by 16 points, 60-44, but managed once again to bring the difference to single-digits, 67-61, behind nine of Rogers 13 second-half points.
- Palm Beach Atlantic looked to pull away when Lucas Morales drained a three from the left wing but Botley responded immediately with a three from the top of the arc and Kevin O'Brien brought the crowd to their feet with a fast-break dunk from Juwan Frazier.
- After an exchange of baskets from each team, Shavanno Cooper tallied three consecutive points and Jackson hit a three-pointer. A three-point play by Matthew Johnson gave PBA the double-digit lead for good.
STATS FROM THE GAME:
- Botley scored a team-high 22 points, followed by Rogers with 16, Palmer with 14, Kande 11 and O'Brien with 10.
- Lynn held a 53-47 advantage in rebounds but PBA had a 6-3 lead in blocks.
- The Fighting Knights forced 22 turnovers but committed 20 themselves.
- Lynn shot 35.4 percent from the field, 28.6 percent from three-point range and 69.6 percent from the free-throw line.
- PBA shot 50.8 percent from the field, 36.8 percent from downtown and 60 percent at the charity stripe.
- Kande and O'Brien each logged double-doubles.
- PBA's De'Ondre Jackson led all scorers with 23 points.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Vieux Kande set a program record with 21 rebounds, breaking the mark of 19 held by Michael Vidal (2009).
- Kande has two double-doubles through the first three games this year after logging only one the entire 2015-16 season.
- Botley tallied his first 20+ point outing for the Blue & White.
- This is the first game all five starters have scored in double-figures.
The Blue and White embark on a two-game non-conference road trip in West Palm Beach, Fla., taking on Valdosta State on Saturday, Nov. 26, before a tilt against Lee on Sunday, Nov. 27. Fans can keep up with the action at LynnFightingKnights.com.