BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Lynn University men's basketball team never held the lead for the entire 40 minutes of regulation on Saturday against the 19th-ranked University of Tampa Spartans and trailed big with under four minutes to play. The Fighting Knights' shooters caught fire from long range down the stretch, applying a breathtaking 18-2 tear in the final 3:06 of the second half to tie the game before securing a 90-85 win in overtime.
Kevin O'Brien knocked down the game-tying triple with nine seconds left and had 21 of his team-high 23 points in the second half/OT, including going 5-of-6 from downtown. The Fighting Knights also set the school record for three-pointers made in a game as a team with 16.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 90, No. 19 Tampa 85 (OT)
Records: Lynn (10-5, 5-3 SSC), No. 19 Tampa (12-5, 5-3 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 24-18
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Lynn had a first half to forget, shooting 7-of-27 (25.9%) from the field and scoring just 23 points to the Spartans 38.
- O'Brien recorded a career-high 23 points coming off the bench and neared a double-double with eight boards.
- Freshman Juwan Frazier was clutch from the free-throw line in overtime (5-of-6), finishing with 16 points and a team-high five dimes.
- Darius James (15), Marquan Botley (14) and Terrell Rogers (10) rounded out Lynn's crew of double-digit scorers. Vieux Kande secured 11 rebounds, marking his eighth game this season with 10+.
- Tampa's Marcel Robinson finished the first half with 19 points behind a 5-for-5 effort from long range before leading the Spartans with 30 on the game.
- With 2:08 to play in the second half, Tampa led by 12 points (73-61). Lynn hit its next four attempts from the field – all three pointers – to send the game into overtime.
- The Blue and White overcame an 18-point deficit, its largest of the year.
- Lynn held a 44-19 advantage in points off the bench.
- Tampa is ranked No. 19 in the D2SIDA National Basketball Poll, its first since the 2012-13 season.
- Lynn's 23 points in the first half is the team's lowest scoring output in a half since the 2014-15 season when the Fighting Knights scored 17 but rallied from a 26-point deficit to stun Saint Leo (2/14/15).
Lynn hits the road on Wednesday, Jan. 18 for its first conference game away from its home floor in over a month. The Fighting Knights tip at Rollins at 7:30 p.m.