BOCA RATON, Fla. – Back-to-back-to-back long-range bombs from newcomer Randy Bell midway through the second half gave Lynn University's men's basketball team the momentum and its first lead of the exhibition on Saturday, but the visiting Florida Atlantic Owls pulled away late to secure the South Florida Showdown win, 68-53.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Florida Atlantic 68, Lynn 53
Records: Florida Atlantic (0-0), Lynn (0-0)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Redshirt-senior and returning starting point guard Allen Baez led his squad from wire-to-wire and didn't miss a shot from the floor the entire night. He finished with a team-high 13 points while shooting 3-of-3 from the field, 1-of-1 from three and 6-of-6 at the charity stripe. He also recorded four rebounds and seven of his team's nine assists.
- Shooting guards Jamal Palmer and Bell each knocked down nine points as Bell had all of his from long range. Palmer's five rebounds was a team-best.
- Kevin O'Brien sunk a pair of treys for eight points and three boards.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Five players saw their first career action in the Blue and White, including Bell and Rasheed Worrell in the starting lineup.
- All four of Lynn's steals came from players off the bench.
- Lynn and FAU last met in an exhibition contest during the 2012-13 season.
- The Fighting Knights hit five of their seven three-pointers in the second half.
- This was the third contest of the South Florida Showdown.
Lynn opens up the 2017-18 campaign with a 7:30 home tilt against Nova Southeastern on Wednesday, Nov. 15.