BOCA RATON, Fla. – A pair of newcomers led the scoring efforts on Wednesday night but it was not enough as the Lynn University men's basketball team fell in its 2017-18 season opener to Nova Southeastern University in Sunshine State Conference action, 87-81.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Nova Southeastern 87, Lynn 81
Records: Nova Southeastern (2-0, 1-0 SSC), Lynn (0-1, 0-1 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 22-17
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Pace University transfer Ryan Peterson caught fire from beyond the arc in the second half, coming off the bench to lead the Fighting Knights with a game-high 22 points. The junior scored 16 in the second frame, finishing the night 6-of-10 from long range to go along with six boards and two steals.
- Newcomer Rasheed Worrell threw down a pair of dunks on his way to 18 points on 5-of-7 shooting, a team-high seven rebounds and two steals.
- Jamal Palmer knocked down a pair of treys, topping off at 15 points to round out Lynn's double-digit scorers.
- Michael Baez shot 4-of-9 from the field for eight points and five rebounds.
- Starting guards Allen Baez and Randy Bell combined for eight assists.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Seven players saw their first regular-season career action in the Blue and White, including Bell and Worrell in the starting lineup.
- The Fighting Knights have won five of the last seven matchups against NSU. It is NSU's first win over Lynn since the conference opener in 2015.
- Lynn starts the season 0-1 for the first time since the 2011-12 campaign.
Lynn is right back at home this Saturday, Nov. 18 for a 4 p.m. league matchup against Rollins College.