Miami Shores, Fla. – Following a first half that saw 19th-ranked Barry University drain 10 three-pointers that led to a sizable edge at the break, Lynn University's men's basketball team fought until the end but came up just short as the Fighting Knights suffered a 72-68 Sunshine State Conference setback at the hands of the first-place Bucs.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #19 Barry 72, Lynn 68
Records: #19 Barry (12-3, 8-2 SSC), Lynn (8-8, 5-5 SSC)
Location: Health and Sports Center | Miami Shores, Fla.
All-Time Series: Barry leads 29-25
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Jamal Palmer scored 13 of his game-high 18 points in the second half while filling out the stat sheet with four boards, two assists a steal and a block.
- Michael Baez boosted the comeback with a solid second-half performance, finishing the night with 12 points and seven boards in just 15 minutes of action. He also went 5-for-5 from the charity stripe.
- Brandon Bornelus knocked down a clutch trey with 12 seconds remaining to give him 13 points on the night. He was held to just one assist after averaging 5.8 per game over the last four contests.
- Rasheed Worrell had a strong first half but foul trouble limited his minutes down the stretch. He finished with nine points and a team-high-tying seven rebounds.
- Daniel Cooper continues to carve out an increased role off the bench, netting a season-high eight points with four rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Barry led 47-29 at halftime.
- Lynn continues to play strong defense, holding a Barry offense to 72 points that averaged over 92 points per game coming in.
- The Bucs are ranked at No. 19 nationally this week in the NABC Coaches poll and at No. 24 in the D2SIDA media poll.
- Barry is the defending SSC regular season champions and currently sits atop the 2017-18 standings.
- Lynn had won four straight games coming into tonight's contest.
- Barry has toppled Lynn in five straight games on its home floor.
After a two-game stretch on the road, the Blue and White return to Boca Raton this weekend when Tampa comes to town on Saturday, Jan. 20 for a 4 p.m. contest.