BOCA RATON, Fla. – After tipping off nearly three hours past the original start time, Lynn University and Florida Tech took to the hardwood for a late-night Sunshine State Conference men's basketball battle on Wednesday. The Fighting Knights broke away from a halftime deficit in the second stanza for a 94-77 victory. Kevin O'Brien logged his first double-double of the season, joining four other Fighting Knights in doubles figures as Lynn posted its highest point total on the season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 94, Florida Tech 77
Records: Lynn (11-9, 8-6 SSC), Florida Tech (10-11, 5-8 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 34-21
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- In a team-high 36 minutes, Brandon Bornelus led his squad in scoring with 24 points behind an 8-of-15 clip from the field while converting all five of his trips to the stripe. He continues to set up teammates, logging eight assists on the night.
- O'Brien posted 15 points, 11 rebounds, three assists and a block for his first double-double of the year.
- Jamal Palmer came out hot with 15 first-half points but found foul trouble late. He finished with 17 points and three boards.
- Michael Baez provided another solid performance off the bench, notching a season-high 16 points with eight rebounds.
- Rasheed Worrell was fed the rock inside early and often, recording 10 points and five rebounds with three blocks on defense.
- FIT's Jordan Majors, the second-leading scorer in the league, dropped a game-high 26 points.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn went 21-of-22 from the charity stripe for a season-high 95.5% clip.
- Bornelus fell one shy of his career-high in points.
- O'Brien's double-double is just Lynn's second on the year so far.
- With an 82-72 win in Melbourne early on in the season, Lynn sweeps the season series over the Panthers. It is Lynn's first series sweep of the year.
- Baez came into the game with a season-high of 14 points, which he had totaled four different times.
- Baez, Palmer and Bornelus all went 5-for-5 at the free-throw line.
- The game started in January and ended in February.
The Fighting Knights will ship out west this weekend, taking on Eckerd College this Saturday, Feb. 3 at 4 p.m.