BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's men's basketball team went 10-for-14 from beyond the arc in the opening half before the pace of the game turned in the second stanza in a chippy Sunshine State Conference matchup on Wednesday night. Behind Brandon Bornelus' near double-double, the Fighting Knights held off Palm Beach Atlantic for the season sweep in an 87-82 triumph.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 87, PBA 82
Records: Lynn (12-10, 9-7 SSC), PBA (12-14, 6-9 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 16-10
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Bornelus played all but two minutes in the contest, leading his squad offensively throughout. Behind a 4-of-7 effort from long range, he led all scorers in the game with 21 points and dished out a career-high nine assists for the near double-double.
- Michael Baez provided another strong performance off the bench, pouring in a season-high 17 points with five rebounds, three assists and a block.
- Ryan Peterson saw a season-high 37 minutes of action, using a 5-of-6 effort at the charity stripe to log 15 points. He filled out the stat sheet with five boards, three assists and two steals.
- Contrary to his usual knack for getting to the rim, all six of Jamal Palmer's field-goal attempts came from long range, converting three for nine points.
- Rasheed Worrell notched nine points and five rebounds on an efficient 4-of-5 outing from the field.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- All six of Kenneth Nwachukwu's points came on dunks.
- Despite hitting only a trio of three-pointers in the second half, Lynn finished with a season-high-tying 13 for the game.
- After Lynn took the lead at 6-4 in the opening minutes of the game, PBA never saw another lead throughout.
- Lynn was called for a season-high-tying 31 fouls. Between both teams, 37 fouls were called in the second half.
- The Fighting Knights defeated PBA in West Palm earlier this season, 75-73. It is the second series sweep of the season for Lynn.
Lynn will head north this weekend for its last away game of the regular season as the Fighting Knights battle Embry-Riddle at 6 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 10.