BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's men's basketball team hadn't lost a home game in nearly three months but a hot Florida Southern Moccasin squad entered Wednesday night's Sunshine State Conference matchup on a four-game winning streak and extended it to five with an 88-76 win over the Fighting Knights.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Florida Southern 88, Lynn 76
Records: Florida Southern (17-9, 11-7 SSC), Lynn (13-11, 10-8 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Center Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: FSC leads 37-14
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Rasheed Worrell was featured heavily on the offensive side of the ball in the second half, dropping in 15 points in the final stanza. He finished with 25 points – a career-high for the junior – while shooting 10-of-18 from the floor and 4-of-4 at the free throw line. He added seven boards, an assist and a steal.
- Brandon Bornelus continues to stroke from long range, knocking down four of his seven three-point attempts on the night. He tallied 16 points, six rebounds and eight assists (one shy of his career-high) without committing a turnover.
- Michael Baez logged nine points off the bench and controlled the glass with a career-high 11 rebounds.
- Kevin O'Brien flushed a pair from beyond the arc for a line of eight points, nine rebounds and two steals.
- Jamal Palmer fought foul trouble the majority of the game but hit double figures with 11 points.
- FSC's Brett Hanson had himself a night with 29 points, seven rebounds, six assists, a steal and a block with just one turnover in 39 minutes of action.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Bornelus extends his streak of scoring in double figures to 13 straight games. He has also had at least five assists in four of the last five games and has knocked down four or more three-pointers in three straight outings.
- Lynn now sits in a tie for fifth place in the SSC standings at 10-8 with two games left but still remain in contention for a top-four spot and home-court advantage in the quarterfinals.
- Worrell sank his third three-pointer of the season. He is 3-of-7 from long range on the year.
- Lynn and FSC split the 2017-18 season series. Lynn defeated the Mocs at their place in an exciting 92-90 overtime win earlier this year.
- The Mocs set a new program record with a 17-for-17 performance at the free-throw line.
- Lynn finished with a season-high 46 rebounds but didn't record a block for just the second time this season.
- Lynn's 76 points are the most in a loss this year since the first two conference games of the season back in November.
Lynn will host Saint Leo this Saturday, Feb. 17 at 4 p.m. for the squad's first weekend home game in nearly a month.