St. Petersburg, Fla. – The 15th-ranked Lynn University men's basketball team defeated Eckerd College on the road for the first time since 2014-15 as the Fighting Knights improved to 10-0 on the season Saturday with a 71-62 Sunshine State Conference triumph over the Tritons.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 71, Eckerd 62
Records: Lynn (10-0, 3-0), Eckerd (9-3, 2-2)
Location: McArthur Center | St. Petersburg, Fla.
Series History: Eckerd leads 30-17
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Jamal Palmer carried the offensive weight for the Blue and White, recording a game-high 22 points on 7-of-15 shooting. He also logged four boards and two steals while going 5-of-8 at the charity stripe.
- Michael Baez scored 14 of his 16 points in the second half. He finished 4-for-5 at the free-throw line and hauled in five defensive rebounds.
- Brandon Bornelus sank three of his five long-range attempts in an 11-point effort. His five assists were a team-high.
- Rasheed Worrell controlled the boards with eight rebounds. He filled out the stat sheet with two assists, two steals and two blocks.
- Ryan Peterson chipped in nine points, four rebounds, two helpers, a steal and a block off the bench.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn last won at Eckerd in the 2014-15 season. The Tritons defended their home court against Lynn in the past four matchups coming into today.
- The Fighting Knights are 10-0 to start the year for the first time since the 1998-99 season.
- The last time Lynn won 10 or more consecutive games at any point in a season was during the 2004-05 campaign (12-game streak).
- Lynn is currently ranked No. 15 nationally on the D2SIDA National Media Poll. Lynn is receiving votes on the National Association of Basketball Coaches Poll, sitting one spot outside the rankings at No. 26.
- Eckerd is receiving votes in the NABC Coaches Poll.
- Lynn and Nova Southeastern both sit atop the league at 10-0 overall but the Sharks hold a 4-0 record in league play.
- Palmer currently has 994 career points.
- Lynn trailed at halftime for just the third time this season (vs. Clark Atlanta; vs. Caldwell).
- Worrell has multiple blocks in three straight games.
- Eckerd's Marco Behori tallied seven of his team's nine assists.
The Fighting Knights return home for the first game in 2019, hosting Saint Leo at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 2.