BOCA RATON, Fla. – The regular season still has plenty of big games remaining but Saturday afternoon's Sunshine State Conference men's basketball matchup between No. 11 Lynn University and No. 23 Eckerd College was pivotal at the midway point of the season. Darius Moore put away the game-winner on a coast-to-coast buzzer-beater to give the Fighting Knights a clutch 55-53 triumph over the Tritons.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 55, Eckerd 53
Records: Lynn (17-3, 10-3 SSC), Eckerd (16-5, 9-4 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Eckerd leads 30-18
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Moore's game-winning bucket gave him 12 points for the night as the starting point guard led his team in assists (6) while adding five boards and a team-high-tying three steals.
- Michael Baez led the Blue and White in the scoring department with 15 points on 7-of-19 shooting. He hauled in eight boards and dished out two assists.
- Rasheed Worrell reached double figures for the fifth time this season, rounding out Lynn's double-digit scorers with 10 points, four boards, a steal and a block.
- Daniel Cooper came up big on the glass, corralling a career-high 12 rebounds. He tacked on six points and a block.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn extends its program-record home-winning record to 13-0.
- With a 71-62 victory at Eckerd earlier this season, the Fighting Knights sweep the Tritons in the season series for the first time since 2014-15.
- Lynn and Eckerd were tied for second place in the SSC standings coming into the game.
- The Fighting Knights are currently nationally ranked in both polls, coming in at No. 11 on the D2SIDA National Media Poll and at No. 13 on the NABC Coaches Poll. The Tritons debuted in the D2SIDA Poll this week at No. 23.
- With a triple tonight, Worrell is shooting 100% from beyond the arc this season (2-of-2) and his 5-of-9 (55.6%) in his two-year Lynn career.
- Starting guards Moore, Palmer and Baez collectively struggled from long range (2-of-19).
- Moore (6) and Baez (2) combined for all eight of Lynn's assists. The eight assists ties a season-low for the squad (Jan. 23 vs. Barry).
- Eckerd's bench outscored Lynn's, 29-3.
- Lynn had its poorest 3-point shooting night (3-of-22; 13.6%) since Feb. 27, 2016 vs. Embry-riddle (2-of-18; 11.1%).
Lynn hits the road for a 7:30 p.m. contest at Saint Leo on Wednesday, Feb. 6.