BOCA RATON, Fla. – The 15th-ranked Lynn University men's basketball team honored a special group of seniors on Saturday afternoon and the upperclassmen delivered as the Fighting Knights closed out the regular season with an 85-70 Sunshine State Conference triumph over the University of Tampa. The Blue and White close out the regular season with 22 wins for the first time since 2004-05.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 85, Tampa 70
Records: #15 Lynn (22-5, 15-5, SSC), Tampa (14-14, 8-12 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 27-21
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Michael Baez caught fire late, scoring 21 of his game-high 31 points in the second half. The senior wingman shot 10-of-16 from the floor, 5-of-6 from long range and 6-for-6 at the free-throw line to lead the Blue and White offense.
- Jamal Palmer knocked down three triples on his way to 17 points.
- Darius Moore did not start for the first time since Jan. 16 but the combo guard dropped 13 points off the bench, going 3-for-4 from downtown.
- Rasheed Worrell logged seven points, three assists and a game-high 11 rebounds.
- Tampa's Marco Downer dropped 20 points and eight boards on an impressive 8-of-9 effort from the floor.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn's 22 wins in the regular season are the most for the program since the 2004-05 campaign.
- Lynn honored its senior class with a pre-game ceremony featuring Baez, Palmer, Worrell, Daniel Cooper and Ryan Peterson.
- With the victory, the Fighting Knights have clinched the No. 2 seed in the SSC Tournament.
- Lynn's spot at No. 2 in the regular-season standings is the highest the program has finished since at least the 2006-07 season.
- Lynn entered the SSC Tournament as the No. 6 seed for three consecutive years before this season.
- Baez has scored 15+ points in 16 of his last 18 games and has two 30+ efforts in his last five outings.
- Palmer has scored in double figures in 14 of his last 16 games and has made at least three triples in the past four games.
- With two today, Cooper has five blocks over the last two contests and 10 in the past six games.
- Lynn sweeps Tampa in the season series for the first time since 2015-16. The Fighting Knights toppled the Spartans in Tampa earlier this season, 85-81.
The Blue and White will host Palm Beach Atlantic in the quarterfinals of the SSC Tournament on Wednesday, March 6, at 7 p.m.