Fort Lauderdale, Fla. – Florida Southern College took hold of the lead with eight minutes to play in the first half Saturday night and never gave it back as Lynn University's 20th-ranked men's basketball team was unable to catch the Mocs in the second half, falling 74-65 in the semifinals of the Sunshine State Conference Tournament.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: FSC 74, Lynn 65
Records: FSC (23-7), #20 Lynn (23-6)
Location: Rick Case Arena | Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
All-Time Series: FSC leads 40-15
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Darius Moore led the Fighting Knights off the bench with a game-high-tying 19 points, knocking down two treys while going 5-for-5 at the free-throw line. He also boasted a team-high four assists.
- Michael Baez fought foul trouble early in the second half but managed to finish with 16 points and a team-high-tying nine rebounds.
- Rasheed Worrell matched Baez in the rebounding department and just missed out on a double-double with 11 points on the offensive end of the floor.
- Jamal Palmer had an 8-of-9 night at the charity stripe, finishing with 14 points, seven rebounds, two assists, a steal and a block. He played all 40 minutes.
- Four out of the five FSC starters scored in double figures. The only starter who did not, Jack Rauch, logged nine points, 16 rebounds and four assists.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights tallied their lowest shooting percentage (33.8%) in over a month and third lowest this season. The team also had its second-poorest effort of the season from 3-point range (20.0%), shooting 4-of-20 from beyond the arc.
- Lynn has not reached the final game of the SSC Tournament since 2005, when the program won its one and only tournament title.
- The Blue and White reached the semifinals of the league playoffs for the first time since the team upset third-seeded Rollins in the 2015-16 quarterfinals.
- The Mocs are now 2-0 against Lynn in the SSC Tournament semifinals and 5-1 when facing the Blue and White on a neutral floor.
- These two teams split the regular-season series, with the home team winning each game in overtime.
- FSC's starting five scored 71 of its 74 points. Moore had all 19 of Lynn's bench points.
- Brandon Bornelus started and played 28 minutes, but was held scoreless for the first time since his collegiate debut last year as a freshman, where he only played four minutes.
- Nationally, Lynn is ranked No. 20 by D2SIDA and No. 22 in the NABC Coaches poll.
The Blue and White will await their postseason fate with the announcement of the NCAA Tournament selections on Sunday, March 10.