Lakeland, Fla. - Low scores were abound on the opening day of the Matlock Collegiate Classic with Lynn University's men's golf team sitting third after shooting 10-under par after 36-holes. A trio of Fighting Knights, Mateo Gomez, Manuel Torres and Toto Gana are each within the top-10 individually.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Location: Lone Palms GC | Lakeland, Fla.
History at Event: 14th consecutive year participating(won in 2014)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights; Instagram - @Lynn_Knights; Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn shot 10-under par as a team (566) but are chasing top-ranked West Florida (553) and fourth-ranked Nova Southeastern (554), which have posted the two lowest 36-hole totals in the tournaments history. Barry (572) and North Alabama (576) round out the top-five.
- Richard Mansell (NSU) leads the field with a 134 total.
- Gomez, Torres and Gana are each tied for 10th with scores of 141. Gomez posted the lowest round for a Fighting Knight with a 69 in the second round.
- Andreas Tancred logged a one-under par 143 and Carlos Bustos posted consecutive scores of 72 for an even par 144.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- The newcomer Gana is tied for fifth in par 5 scoring (-6) along with Gomez.
- The field at the Matlock consists of seven of the top-eight ranked teams in the country and 11 schools in the top-25.
- Lynn took top honors at the Matlock in 2014.
The Fighting Knights are back on the links Tuesday, Feb. 14, when they tee off at 8:30 am with West Florida and Nova Southeastern.