Lakeland, Fla. - Lynn University's second-ranked men's golf team ended play at the Matlock Collegiate Classic in third place out of 15 teams. Mateo Gomez posted the low round for the Fighting Knights to finish tied for seventh individually.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Location: Lone Palms GC | Lakeland, Fla.
History at Event: 14th consecutive year participating (won in 2014)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights; Instagram - @Lynn_Knights; Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Top-ranked West Florida took top honors with a tournament record score of 830. Nova Southeastern (848) held off Lynn (861) for second with Barry (862) and host Florida Southern (880) moving into the top-five.
- Gomez finished with a five-under par 211 after a final round 70. He tied for seventh individually, nine shots back of winner John Coultas.
- Manuel Torres (212) shot a four-under 212 to tie for 11th with newcomer Toto Gana (213) tying for 13th.
- Carlos Bustos maintained consistency with three consecutive rounds of 72 while Andreas Tancred ended the 54-hole event with a 218, respectively.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Gana tied for second in the field in par 5 scoring (-9) and Bustos and Torres tied for fifth in par 4 scoring (-2).
- Gomez logged his 15th career top-10 finish with the Blue & White, moving him into sole possession of fourth place in program history.
- The field at the Matlock consists of seven of the top-eight ranked teams in the country and 11 schools in the top-25.
The Fighting Knights look to defend their title at the Gary Freeman B-CU Invitational March 2-3, in Daytona Beach, Fla., at LPGA International. Fans can keep up with the action at LynnFightingKnights.com.