Valdosta, Ga. – The race for the Southeastern Collegiate champion could boil down to one of the top-two teams in the nation after Lynn University's men's golf team moved into second place following the second round of competition. Three Fighting Knights are within the top-six, highlighted by Mateo Gomez who is third individually.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 2nd of 18 teams
Location: Kinderlou Forest GC | Valdosta, Ga..
Par/Yardage: 72/7,363 yards
History at Event: 21st consecutive year participating (three-time runner-up)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Wet conditions led to high scores in the second round as the Blue & White posted the second-lowest score of the day with a 296, giving them a score of 584 over 36-holes. No. 2 Lynn trails top-ranked West Florida (581) by three shots and overtook third-place Florida Tech (588). Barry (589) shot the lowest round at 294 and holds a slight lead over North Alabama (594) in the top-five.
- Gomez lined up his second consecutive round of 72 and his 144 total is good for third place, six shots back of leader Chandler Blanchet of West Florida.
- Martin Cancino is tied for fourth with a 36-hole score of 145 and Felix Kvarnstrom is sixth with a 146 total.
- Manuel Torres improved by a shot for a two-over par 74 for a two-day score of 149 while Carlos Bustos has a 153, respectively.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Gomez is the only golfer to shoot par or better in each of the first two rounds.
- West Florida is the top-ranked team in the nation, followed by Lynn.
- Lynn has never won the Southeastern Collegiate.
The Fighting Knights tee off with Florida Tech and West Florida beginning at 10 a.m. Fans can keep up with the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.