Valdosta, Ga. – Lynn University's fourth-ranked men's golf team shot 295 on the final day and tied for fifth place at the Southeastern Collegiate. Manuel Torres closed out the 54-hole event even par and tied for ninth individually.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 3rd of 18 teams – Second Round
Location: Kinderlou Forest GC | Valdosta, Ga..
Par/Yardage: 72/7,363 yards
History at Event: 22nd consecutive year participating (three-time runner-up)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn tied for the fourth-lowest score of the day but saw all of its competitors shoot just a bit better to move ahead. Newberry (868) moved out of its share of the lead to top West Florida (869) by one stroke. Florida Tech jumped three spots (870) to third after a third round low of 286. Barry stayed in fourth (874) followed by Florida Southern and Lynn (875).
- Torres had eight pars on the front nine and one bogey but was better on the back nine with a pair of birdies until a double-bogey on the last hole put him with a one-over 73. He closed out the tournament with a 216.
- Jorge Villar was the only member of the starting five to shoot under par in the final round. After a bogey on the third hole, Villar shot two-under to card a 71. He tied for 20th.
- Both Carlos Bustos and Felix Kvarnstrom finished tied for 30th. Bustos closed out strong with a one-over 73. He improved every round from his 76 on the first day to 74 in round two. Kvarnstrom logged a six-over par 78.
- Tyrone Clarke ended the 54-hole event with a 229.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Lynn led the field with 178 total pars and was tied for second in par 4 scoring (+16).
- Three Fighting Knights were within the top-10 in par 4 scoring: Torres (E), Kvarnstrom (E) and Villar +1).
- Torres was second overall with 43 pars.
- Torres earned his second top-10 finish of the season but first since the season-opener at the Griffin Invite (Sep. 19).
- This also marks the 13th career top-10 finish for Torres, moving him into a tie for sixth place in program history with former teammates Elliott Whitley and Keith Greene.
The Fighting Knights are back in action at the Bobcat Invitational in Eatonton, Ga., at the Cuscowilla Golf Club from March 19-20. Fans can keep up with the action at LynnFightingKnights.com.