BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's lacrosse team needed little time to find its offensive groove in 2017 as the Fighting Knights kicked off the new campaign with a 22-2 rout over Lees-McRae on Saturday. The Blue and White fired off a scoring barrage in the opening minutes, finding the back of the net 14 times in the first quarter. Redshirt-junior Austin Jerhoff led the charge while breaking records along the way with two goals and seven assists as the team also secured multiple new program records.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 22, Lees-McRae 2
Records: Lynn (1-0), Lees-McRae (0-1)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 2-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Jerhoff was involved in eight of the team's first 14 scores. He added an assist in the second period to finish his day with nine points.
- Redshirt-sophomore Mikey Urso returned in solid form following an impressive inaugural campaign last season, slotting home a game-high four goals. He added three helpers for seven points, tied for the fourth-most points in a game in school history.
- Sophomore Conrad Rhein notched his first career hat trick while Tyler Hopkins and newcomer Sean Escalante each buried a pair.
- Lynn dominated at the X with Christopher Lasprogata going an impressive 14-of-14 on faceoffs while scooping up a game-high eight groundballs. Freshman Dryden Brous earned the start, adding 11 wins and a team-high five groundballs. The pair's 25 faceoff wins ties the school record.
- Freshman Collin McClelland earned the start in the cage, playing the first 30 minutes and securing the win. Fellow rookie Mitchell Goode took over at goalie in the second half, posting three saves.
- Jerhoff broke the program record for most points (9) and assists (7) in a game. Brian Kiel and Anthony Rainone held the previous points high-mark at eight.
- Lynn's 22 goals scored, 17 assists, two goals allowed and margin of victory (20 goals) are all program records.
- Jerhoff's assist on the opening goal gave him the 99th point of his career, passing Rainone for most career points in school history. Jerhoff is now one goal shy of tying Rainone's program-record 69 career goals.
- In total, 10 different Fighting Knights tallied their first career point in the blue and white uniform.
- The program's first-ever victory in the 2014 inaugural season was also over Lees-McRae. That was Lynn's only win that season.
Lynn remains home next weekend for a big matchup against nationally-ranked Adelphi. First faceoff is slated for 11 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 18.