BOCA RATON, Fla., – Lynn University's lacrosse team defended Bobby Campbell Stadium with authority Wednesday night as the Fighting Knights toppled Dominican College (N.Y.) under the lights in the team's 2018 home opener, 14-5. Nick Howard found the back of the net five times, one shy of the program record.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 14, Dominican (N.Y.) 5
Records: Lynn (2-1), Dominican (N.Y.) (0-3)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 2-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Howard logged a natural hat trick through the halftime turn and would bury two more to round out the third-quarter scoring. He finished with a career-high five goals, hitting the frame on six of his 10 shot attempts.
- Freshman Chase Stokes, earning his second consecutive start, scored the first three goals of his collegiate career. All three of his shots-on-goal found the back of the net.
- Stephen Polsinelli and Keegan Maxwell each logged two-point outings with a goal and an assist.
- Xander Cosenza, Conrad Rhein, Nick McCabe and Tyler Hopkins all added goals for the Fighting Knights.
- In addition to his career-high-tying two assists, Dryden Brous had another field day in the faceoff circle, winning 17 of his 19 attempts to go along with a game-high 11 ground balls.
- Mark Pryor bolstered the defensive efforts with a career-high five ground balls and two caused turnovers. Christian Jenkins added two CTs and four ground balls.
- Collin McClelland earned the win in the cage with five saves through 40 minutes of action. Connor Owens tallied two stops and Mitchell Goode picked up a save in late-game relief.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn and Dominican met for the first time in 2016 when the Fighting Knights downed the Chargers 16-5 at Johns Hopkins' Homewood Field.
- The team's 49 shots rank in a tie for seventh all-time in single-game program history. Lynn also totaled 49 shots the last time these two teams played.
- Howard joins Anthony Rainone, Brian Kiel and Danny Egan as the only Fighting Knights with five goals in a game. Rainone holds the program record with six.
- Polsinelli fired off 11 shots, tying for fifth-most all-time in single-game program history.
- Brous has picked up eight or more ground balls in all three games so far this season and has won 46 of his 54 faceoff tries.
- Mikey Urso was held without a point offensively for just the second time in 30 career games at Lynn.
- Both teams came together in unity during a pre-game ceremony in honor of the recent tragedy at nearby Stoneman Douglas High School.
The Fighting Knights are home again this Saturday, March 3, for a big 1 p.m. matchup against Wingate University.