Memphis, Tenn. – A first-half goal for the fifth-ranked Lynn University men's soccer team set the tone on Sunday evening before a pair of second-half goals sealed a 3-0 victory over West Alabama in a neutral-site matchup at Christian Brothers University. The shutout marks Alexander Roth's fourth consecutive clean sheet to start the season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 3, West Alabama 0
Records: Lynn (4-0), West Alabama (1-2)
Location: Signaigo Field | Memphis, Tennessee
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 1-0 (First meeting)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Jack Watson opened the scoring for the Fighting Knights in the 21st minute, converting an assist from Elliott Legg into the game-winning goal.
- Tomer Bitton notched a goal in the 67th minute to double the Blue and White's lead to 2-0 on a Watson assist.
- Lukas Börner closed out the scoring less than three minutes after Bitton's goal, finishing a ball from Ilias Papadopoulos to give Lynn a 3-0 advantage in the late stages of the contest.
- Bitton and Martin Drobits each registered two shots on goal in the game to lead the team.
- The Fighting Knights outshot the opposition 13-7 with a 7-3 edge in shots on goal.
- Four yellow cards were handed out in the contest, split evenly between the two teams.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The clean sheet was the 12th of Roth's career.
- Watson has now registered at least one point in each of the first four games this season after collecting a goal and an assist in the win.
- The game-winning goal was Watson's second this season, placing him near the top of the national leaderboard on the young season.
- Lynn has now racked up four consecutive shutout victories to open the season, the first time the feat has been accomplished by the Blue and White since 1999.
The Fighting Knights are set to open their Sunshine State Conference schedule on Saturday, Sept. 16, in Auburndale against Florida Southern.