Huntsville, Ala. - Lynn University's top-ranked men's soccer team knotted the game 1-1 with under five minutes to play only to see West Alabama secure the game-winner seconds later in a 2-1 loss to the 19th-ranked Tigers. Niklas Tasky scored the lone goal for the Fighting Knights.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: West Alabama 2, Lynn 1
Records: West Alabama (2-0-1), Lynn (2-1-0)
Location: Charger Park | Huntsville, Ala.
Series History: Lynn leads 2-1 all-time (won twice in 2017, including the NCAA South Region finals)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- West Alabama struck first as Harrison Roberts scored the opening goal in the 16th minute of play.
- Lynn had several chances in the first half but it was Tasky's score in the 86th minute that would equalize the match.
- UWA regained the lead for good just 11 seconds later off a goal by Kane O'Neill.
- Lynn outshot West Alabama 15-4 and held a 3-0 advantage in corner kicks.
- Roberto Bazzichetto logged just one save while Ollie Harrison turned away four shots.
- The match featured 31 fouls combined and six yellow cards.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The last time Lynn was ranked No. 1 was Sept. 14, 2015. The Fighting Knights would tie Palm Beach Atlantic and fall to Saint Leo after reaching No. 1.
- Tasky has scored twice this season, doubling his previous single-season mark.
- After not allowing a goal for over 397 minutes, the Blue and White have allowed three goals in the last 101 minutes.
- This is the third meeting between these two teams in the last year. Lynn won 3-0 on Sept. 9 and again 1-0 on Nov. 17, the NCAA South Region final.
UP NEXT:Lynn returns home to host its first Sunshine State Conference match of the year on Saturday, Sept., 15, at 6 p.m. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.