BOCA RATON, Fla. – The fight of Lynn University's eighth-ranked tennis team proved to be the difference maker on Tuesday as the Blue and White recorded a 9-0 decision over the Queen's College (N.Y.) Knights in nonconference action.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 9, Queens 0
Records: #8 Lynn (11-2), Queens (N.Y.) (3-3)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 1-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- All three doubles flights were close contests but Lynn prevailed in all three, highlighted by a big win at No. 2.
- At the No. 2 position, Jose Porfirio Ordonez and Kay Bartmann posted an 8-4 win over the 11th-ranked duo in the country (Nawghre/Laga).
- Mehdi Laalej/Florian Clemares took the top flight, 8-6, with Tristan Houle and Jean-Baptiste Mateo rounding out the sweep at No. 3 (8-4).
- Lynn's trio of regionally-ranked solo players fired off straight-set singles wins at the top half of the lineup to quickly build a 6-0 edge and secure the match.
- Mateo cruised at No. 2, 6-0, 6-1, while Laalej (No. 1) and Bartmann (No. 3) surrendered just four games through two sets in their victories.
- Houle took the fifth flight, 6-3, 6-2.
- Clemares (No. 4) and Porfirio Ordonez (No. 6) each dropped their opening sets before bouncing back and claiming wins in third-set super breakers.
- It was the first-ever meeting between the two teams.
- Lynn has four undefeated singles players in its starting lineup.
Lynn will have to wait until Thursday for a day off as the Fighting Knights return to the Blue and White courts tomorrow, Wednesday, March 15 for a 3 p.m. match against Indianapolis.