BOCA RATON, Fla. – With five of its six starters returning from last season, Lynn University's sixth-ranked men's tennis team picked up right where it left off last May with a 9-0 triumph over St. Thomas on Thursday night in the first contest of the new season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #6 Lynn 9, St. Thomas 0
Records: #6 Lynn (1-0), St. Thomas (0-1)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex| Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 21-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Jean-Baptiste Mateo and Florian Clemares looked sharp in their first doubles outing of the season – having played together just once a season ago – as the seniors locked in an 8-0 victory at the top flight.
- Tristan Houle and newcomer Gabriel Hocevar meshed well at No. 3 with an 8-1 win.
- Jose Porfirio Ordonez and Kay Bartmann were in a close match at No. 2 doubles before pulling away for an 8-4 triumph.
- Clemares kept the solid play rolling into singles completion, putting Lynn up 4-0 with a 6-0, 6-3 victory at No. 3.
- 25th-ranked Bartmann and Mateo each had to battle for wins at the top two positions. Bartmann won in three sets, 6-4, 4-6, 6-0, with Mateo going 6-3, 7-6.
- Porfirio Ordonez and Houle each surrendered less than three games apiece in each of their victories at the fifth and sixth flights, respectively.
- Hocevar rounded out the night with a 7-6, 6-2 win at No. 4 singles.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights are fortunate to have five of six starters in tonight's lineup returning from last year's starting squad. Hocevar, a sophomore transfer from UNC-Wilmington, made his Lynn debut tonight.
- Lynn opens its season with a win over St. Thomas for the seventh year in a row.
Lynn remains home this weekend with a tough matchup against No. 11 Flagler on Sunday, Feb. 4 at 10 a.m.