BOCA RATON, Fla. - Lynn University's softball team did not disappoint in its home opener with the squad splitting with 23rd-ranked Alabama-Huntsville on Friday afternoon. The Fighting Knights won an extra inning 1-0 pitchers dual before dropping the second contest 6-1.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 – Lynn 1, UAH 0 (9); Game 2 – UAH 6, Lynn 1
Records: Lynn (2-4), Alabama-Huntsville (7-3)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn trails 3-7 in the all-time series (last met in 2008)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS FROM THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Caitlin Rolson gave Lynn its first hit of the game in the 6th inning with a pinch hit single.
- After surrendering three hits through the first three innings, Francais Olexa stymied the Chargers batters, holding them hitless through the remainder of the game. She finished with no runs allowed over nine innings with three strikeouts and a walk to collect her first win of the year.
- The junior southpaw aided her own cause in the bottom of the ninth with a walk-off RBI ground ball to score Shayle Arenson.
- Leanne Wright collected Lynn's final hit of the game, going 1-for-3.
- Game 2
- Alabama-Huntsville outhit Lynn 12-3 in the game.
- Freshman Karolina Flores connected on her first hit of her career, a double, and finished the contest 2-for-3 with a run scored.
- Four Chargers ended the game with multiple hits.
- Katelyn Key (1-1) took the loss after allowing three runs on nine hits over five innings of work.
- Kayla Sheffield surrendered three runs in an inning of relief before Mackenzie Wyatt tossed a scoreless seventh.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE
- Olexa earned her first career complete game shutout. The nine innings pitched is also a career-best.
- Lynn played its first error-free game of the season in the 1-0 victory.
The Fighting Knights are back in action on Saturday, Feb. 18, at noon when they host Barry University in their Sunshine State Conference opener. Fans can watch the action live on the Lynn Sports Network.