BOCA RATON, Fla. – It was an epic pitchers duel between two of the top hurlers in the Sunshine State Conference with Lynn University coming out on top 1-0 in nine innings against 11th-ranked Saint Leo on Friday afternoon. Francais Olexa tossed nine shutout innings and Erin Sundook drove in the winning run with a two-out walk-off double.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 1, Saint Leo 0 (9 innings)
Records: Lynn (18-10, 7-3 SSC), Saint Leo (23-7, 4-3 SSC)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn trails 11-49 all-time (last played in 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Mackenzie Wyatt recorded two of the Blue & White's four hits in the game, going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- Sundook went 1-for-4 with a double and RBI.
- Olexa scattered five hits over nine innings with one walk and seven strikeouts.
- Olexa's counterpart in the circle, Stephanie Adkins, struck out eight with two walks and four hits allowed.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn's victory over Saint Leo snaps a 16-game losing streak vs. the Lions (last won Mar. 5, 2011).
- This is the first win for the Fighting Knights vs. the Lions under head coach Amy Bellisari
- This is Lynn's second victory over a ranked opponent this season (Def. Alabama-Huntsville 1-0 in nine innings on Feb. 10).
- This marks the fourth victory Lynn has recorded in the final inning.
- Friday's game featured the top-two pitchers in the SSC with Adkins leading the league in ERA and strikeouts and Olexa second in ERA and third in K's.
- Olexa did not have a complete game shutout in her first two seasons with the Blue & White but has thrown three this year, two of which were nine innings.
- The junior southpaw earned her eighth victory of the year to set a new career-high. This is the second personal-record Olexas has set this year after breaking her strikeouts in a season record (77 and counting).
- The Fighting Knights celebrated Victoria Rios' birthday!
Lynn closes out its three-game SSC series against Saint Leo with a doubleheader beginning at noon on Saturday, Mar. 18. Fans can watch the games live at LynnFightingKnights.com.