Clermont, Fla. – Two runs in the final three innings, including one in the bottom of the seventh on a double-steal, gave Lynn University's softball team a 3-2 victory over St. Cloud State and helped the Fighting Knights split its doubleheader on Tuesday. Lynn lost 4-2 in the opening contest to Missouri-St. Louis.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Score: Game 1 – Mo.-St. Louis 4, Lynn 2; Game 2 – Lynn 3, St. Cloud St. 2
Records: Lynn (15-10), UMSL (9-9), St. Cloud St. (9-3)
Location: Legends Field | Clermont, Fla.
Series History: First meeting vs. both UMSL and St. Cloud St.
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- After exchanging runs over the first three frames, UMSL plated three in the bottom of the fourth to pull away. Lynn managed to score one in the seventh but stranded the tying run on second base.
- The Blue and White scattered four hits with Francais Olexa, Karolina Flores, Mackenzie Wyatt and Erin Sundook all credited with base hits.
- Olexa and Sundook each logged doubles.
- In the circle, Olexa tossed the complete game but gave up four runs on 11 hits with a walk and two strikeouts.
- Her counterpart Andee Tiffee fanned 11 Knights in seven frames with two runs on four hits.
- Game 2
- Lynn picked up its hits with seven compared to St. Cloud State's five.
- Olexa was 2-for-3 with a run at the top of the lineup while Wyatt also was 2-for-3 with a RBI.
- Sophia Devesa went 1-for-2 with a solo home run and two runs scored, including the game-winner.
- Allyson Jameston (6-1) earned the victory with seven strong innings, allowing two runs with a walk and a strikeout.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Devesa's home run was the first of her career.
- In addition, Devesa's two runs mark the first multi-run game as a member of the Fighting Knights.
- Wyatt return to the No. 2 spot in the batting order for the first time since Feb. 9, a 3-1 loss to Pittsburg St.
The Fighting Knights return to the field on Friday, Mar. 9, at 6 p.m. when they begin a three-game series at the University of Tampa. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.