BOCA RATON, Fla. - Lynn University's softball team held on to secure a 3-2 victory in the opening contest against Lindenwood while its rally fell just short in the bottom of the seventh in a 6-4 loss to the Lions. Kayla Sheffield went 4-for-7 in the DH with two doubles, a home run and four runs batted in.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 1 – Lynn 3, Lindenwood 2; Game 2 – Lindenwood 6, Lynn 4
Records: Lynn (17-13); Lindenwood (13-9)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn trails 2-1 all-time (last met in 2014)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Lynn scored runs in two of the first three innings and held on after Lindenwood plated runs in the fifth and sixth frames.
- Francais Olexa set the table on the offensive end with a 2-for-3 performance and run scored.
- Karolina Flores was 1-for-2 with a double, RBI and stolen base.
- Sheffield smacked her fourth home run of the year, a two-run shot.
- Olexa (6-3) was tossing a perfect game into the fourth and finished with one run on four hits over five innings with a walk and five strikeouts.
- Olivia Saviskas collected her second save, despite surrendering a home run on her first pitch of the game. That would be the only hit allowed.
- Game 2
- Lindenwood tallied five runs through three innings and added an insurance run in the sixth.
- Lynn found its bats in the fifth, scoring one run, another in the sixth and two more in the seventh.
- Sophia Devesa went 3-for-3 with a pair of runs.
- Sheffield went 3-for-4 with two doubles and two runs batted in.
- Allyson Jameston (7-2) took the loss with five runs allowed, four earned, on five hits. Sheffield entered in the third and tossed 4.1 innings of relief with one unearned run allowed on five hits.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Flores has 12 stolen bases this year, tied for sixth in the Sunshine State Conference. It is also tied for the fourth-most in program history for a single season and is the most since Sara Vazquez swiped 14 in 2015.
- Sheffield regained the conference lead in doubles with 12.
- Olexa's five strikeouts are her most since she fanned six against Nova Southeastern on Feb. 18.
- Four of Lynn's six hits in game one went for extra bases.
- Sixteen of Sheffield's 21 hits have gone for extra bases this season.
Lynn returns to SSC play when it hosts Palm Beach Atlantic in a three-game series beginning on Friday, March 16, at 3 p.m. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.