Daytona Beach, Fla. – Lynn University's softball team was poised for the series opening victory against Embry-Riddle before an extra innings walk-off double sank the Fighting Knights 4-3 in game one. Defensive miscues contributed to a tough 8-3 loss in the second game of the doubleheader. Victoria Rios added to her Sunshine State Conference leading homerun total in game one and Francais Olexa had a hit in both contests.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Game 1 – Embry-Riddle 4, Lynn 3 (8 innings); Game 2 – Embry-Riddle 8, Lynn 3
Records: Lynn (22-21, 10-13 SSC), Embry-Riddle (29-12, 17-9 SSC)
Location: ERAU Softball Stadium | Daytona Beach, Fla.
Series History: Lynn trails 9-3 all-time (Lynn took two out of three in 2017)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Game 1
- Rios had three RBI for the Fighting Knights, all coming on a homerun to left field in the fifth.
- MacKenzie Wyatt went 1-for-2 at the plate with a double and walk.
- Elizabeth Diaz and Francais Olexa both went 1-for-3.
- Olexa (8-8) started for the Blue and White and allowed four runs (two earned) on nine hits
- The Eagles leadoff hitter, Maggie Scott, went 2-for-4 with a run scored, an RBI, a triple and a stolen base.
- Pege Lopez hit a double to left field in the top of the eighth to give Embry-Riddle the walkoff win, she went 2-for-4 in the game.
- Ilona Andringa (18-9) started for the Eagles and allowed three runs on five hits.
- Game 2
- Olexa went 2-for-3 for the Fighting Knights with a walk and a run scored.
- Diaz and Shayle Arenson both went 1-for-3; Diaz had two RBI, Arenson had one.
- Kayla Sheffield was 1-for-2 with a double, a sacrifice bunt and a walk.
- Allyson Jameston (9-4) started in the circle for Lynn and allowed eight runs (five earned) on 12 hits.
- Jayla Jackson started for ERAU and allowed two runs on three hits picking up the no decision. Lisa Hop (3-0) came into the game in the fifth and allowed one Fighting Knight to cross the plate on two hits.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Rios retook the SSC lead in home runs with eight.
- This is the third consecutive weekend series Lynn has gone into extra innings in a game.
- Olexa pitched more than seven innings for the third time this season.
- Olexa's 29 walks on the season at the plate are tied for the most in a single season (Ashley Byrd, 2007).
- Diaz and Olexa have both reached base in nine straight games.
- Rios's 20 career homeruns moves her into a tie for fifth place in program history with Tiffani King.
- Sheffield's 14 doubles are the most by a Fighting Knight in a single season since Kaci Vassallo hit 14 in 2015.
- The Blue and White snapped their four-game winning streak.
- With Scott's triple in game one, Embry-Riddle extended their lead in the SSC with 15 triples.
- Embry-Riddle has won four of its last five games.
The Fighting Knights return to action tomorrow to finish up the series against the Eagles at noon. Fans can catch the action on LynnFightingKnights.com.