BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's softball team could not crack the Makaleigh Dooley code, dropping the series opener 4-1 to the University of Tampa. Elizabeth Diaz smashed her first home run of the season for the Fighting Knights.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game Tampa 4, Lynn 1
Records: Tampa (15-9, 7-6 SSC); Lynn (14-18, 4-6 SSC)
Location: Lynn Softball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn trails 50-16 all-time (lost two of three in 2018)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Diaz provided the fireworks for the Blue and White, belting a solo home run in the bottom of the second over the center field wall to cut the deficit to 2-1.
- Errors proved costly for Lynn as Tampa scored two unearned runs off two errors.
- Mackenzie Wyatt recorded the only other hit for Lynn.
- Kayla Sheffield (7-9) was solid in the circle, scattering six hits over seven innings, allowing four runs, two earned, with a pair of walks.
- Dooley (12-5) fanned five batters in seven innings.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Diaz's home run was the first of the season and 11th of her career.
- Sheffield's complete game was her 10th of the year.
- Lynn has lost the series opener in all four of its SSC series this year. The team has swept the doubleheader twice.
Lynn closes out its series with the Spartans with a noon doubleheader on Saturday. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.