Lakeland, Fla. – The stout defense of Florida Southern proved too much on Saturday evening, as the Lynn University women's basketball team fell on the road, 69-46, in a Sunshine State Conference showdown. The loss ended a four-game winning streak for the Fighting Knights that dated back to Dec. 17 of last year.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Florida Southern 69, Lynn 46
Records: Florida Southern 10-3 (5-2 SSC) Lynn 6-8 (2-5 SSC)
Location: Jenkins Fieldhouse | Lakeland, Fla.
All-Time Series: Florida Southern leads, 30-14 (Met twice in 2016-17)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Jaylen Snipes provided much of the offense for Lynn, pouring in a team-high 16 points on 7-of-13 shooting for the evening. The sophomore also dished out a pair of assists and had two steals.
- Juju Uloma had eight first-half rebounds en route to a game-high total of 11 in the loss, adding four points on 2-of-3 from the floor.
- Mariah Penascino had five assists to tie for the most by a single player in the game. It was her sixth game with five or more assists, with the Fighting Knights posting a 4-1 record in games in which she had reached the mark prior to this evening.
- Florida Southern's Jensen Blassage dropped a game-high 22 points off the bench, while Anja Fuchs-Robetin added 17 points and nine rebounds for the Mocs.
- The Florida Southern defense was too much for Lynn to handle on the evening, as the Fighting Knights turned the ball over 26 times to the Mocs' 13.
- Florida Southern shot 43.1 percent from the floor despite a 2-for-13 mark from long range, while Lynn managed a 38.0 percent mark from the field.
- The rebounding battle was tight all night long, with Florida Southern holding a narrow edge, 35-34.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The 23-point loss is Lynn's largest since the first game of the season when they lost by the same margin to Alabama-Huntsville.
- The loss snapped Lynn's four-game winning streak, its longest unbeaten streak since the beginning of the 2013-14 season.
- 69 points is tied for the second-fewest points allowed in a loss this season for the Blue and White.
Lynn returns to action on Wednesday at home against Eckerd for another SSC matchup. Tip-off is slated for 5:30 p.m. against the Tritons at the de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center.