BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Lynn University women's basketball team came from behind late to win once again, knocking off the University of Tampa by a final score of 54-50 on Saturday afternoon in a Sunshine State Conference battle at the de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center. The Fighting Knights trailed by as much as 12 in the second quarter, and entered the final 10 minutes of the game facing a three-point deficit before taking their first lead of the game with just more than six minutes to play.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 54, Tampa 50
Records: Lynn 8-10 (4-7 SSC), Tampa 12-6 (5-6 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Tampa leads, 40-10 (Lynn's first win over Tampa since 2011-12 season)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Paola Vazquez Concepcion led all scorers in the game with 15 points, shooting 4-of-11 from the floor and 5-of-5 at the free throw line. The senior also grabbed five rebounds and had a pair of steals to chip in on the defensive side of the ball.
- Jaylen Snipes notched her sixth-straight game with 10-plus points, pouring in 13 points on 5-for-10 shooting while adding six rebounds and five assists.
- Janay Williams led the Fighting Knights on the glass, pulling down nine rebounds in the win—including four on the offensive boards.
- Mariah Penascino added five points and seven rebounds for Lynn.
- After failing to get to the line in the opening half, Lynn earned 12 free throws in the second half, converting on 10 of them (83.3 percent). It was the sixth time this season the squad has shot 80 percent or better from the stripe.
- Lynn won both the turnover battle (17-13) and the rebounding battle (38-33) while racking up eight steals to Tampa's four.
- Tampa shot 41.5 percent from the floor as a team to Lynn's 33.9 percent, and each team made four threes.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- After being outscored in the first quarter, Lynn outscored Tampa in each of the final three quarters of play.
- The victory is the Fighting Knights' first win over Tampa under head coach Julia Huddleston.
- Today's match was the 50th meeting between the two programs all time.
- Lynn improves to 7-2 at home this season with today's win marking the seventh consecutive victory at the de Hoernle Center.
The Blue and White hit the road on Wednesday night to take on Nova Southeastern for another SSC matchup. Tip-off is slated for 5:30 p.m. at Rick Case Arena.