BOCA RATON, Fla. – 40 minutes of basketball wasn't enough on Wednesday night, as the Lynn University women's basketball team erased an eight-point fourth quarter deficit to force overtime and down Florida Tech 64-63 in a Sunshine State Conference battle at the de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center. Janay Williams and Juju Uloma each came up a rebound short of a double-double, with Williams dropping 18 points, Uloma scoring 15 and both grabbing nine rebounds.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 64, Florida Tech 63
Records: Lynn (10-11, 6-8 SSC), Florida Tech (9-10, 6-7 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Florida Tech leads 31-16 (Teams split season series)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Williams led the squad in scoring for the first time all season, scoring a career-high 18 points. The sophomore center's nine boards tied for her second-highest total of the season and marked the third time she had grabbed nine or more rebounds.
- Uloma played one of the best games of her young career, as her 15 points were her second most in a game this season and her nine rebounds were good for her third-best total.
- Paola Vazquez Concepcion was just 3-for-13 from the field, but hit a clutch three pointer with 1:17 to play in overtime before giving Lynn the win with a free throw with less than one second to play. She finished the game with 10 points, three rebounds and two steals.
- Jaylen Snipes continued rolling offensively, reaching the 10 point mark once more to extend her streak to nine straight games and 12 of the last 13 overall. She also chipped in with four assists and a pair of blocks.
- Sydney Fields added two blocks and four rebounds for the Fighting Knights defensively, while Christina Potts notched five points off the bench.
- Lynn trailed 42-34 after three quarters of play, but outscored FIT 20-12 in the fourth quarter to force an overtime period. The Blue and White outscored the Panthers 10-9 in the five minute overtime period.
- The Fighting Knights shot 41.8 percent as a team, while Florida Tech shot just 37.3 percent. Lynn also won the rebounding battle, 45-37, while the two teams were nearly equal in turnovers.
- Seven blocks as a team was a season high and the most in a game since last February when they posted eight blocks against Nova Southeastern.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Uloma earned her first career start in the win, playing 26 minutes in total.
- The win was Lynn's first over Florida Tech since Dec. 30, 2016. The Fighting Knights dropped both games to Florida Tech during calendar year 2017.
- The last time the Fighting Knights went to overtime was against this same Florida Tech team last February in Melbourne, Fla. The Panthers eked out a 71-70 win that night.
- Lynn had lost each of its last six games played on January 31, with its last win on this date coming in 1998.
The Fighting Knights hit the road on Saturday to take on Eckerd in a Sunshine State Conference battle. Tip-off is slated for 2 p.m. in St. Petersburg.