Daytona Beach, Fla. – The Lynn University women's basketball team overcame an early deficit to take a late lead, but Embry-Riddle hit a three-pointer with just four seconds to play to send the Fighting Knights home with a narrow, 58-56 loss on Saturday evening in Sunshine State Conference action. Jaylen Snipes led all scorers with 17 points in the game.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Embry-Riddle 58, Lynn 56
Records: Lynn (11-13, 7-10 SSC), Embry-Riddle (18-5, 12-4 SSC)
Location: ICI Center | Daytona Beach, Fla.
All-time Series: Embry-Riddle leads, 4-2 (Teams split season series)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Snipes' 17 points came on 5-for-13 shooting from the field and 3-for-6 from beyond the arc. The sophomore added four more points at the free throw to cap her second-highest scoring game of the season.
- Paola Vazquez Concepcion chipped in with nine points and six rebounds in the loss, marking the first time in 10 games in which she failed to reach double digit points.
- Janay Williams led the Fighting Knights with eight rebounds and added six points on 3-of-4 shooting.
- Mariah Penascino was a perfect 4-for-4 from the free throw line, adding four rebounds and four assists to her stat line.
- Both teams shot 40.4 percent from the floor and pulled down 31 rebounds; Embry-Riddle was slightly better from three-point range, shooting 36.8 percent to Lynn's 31.3 percent.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Lynn consistently whittled down the gap after trailing by 14 points following the first quarter and trailing by as much as 20 midway through the second quarter. The Fighting Knights trailed by 11 at the half and just eight at the end of the third quarter before tying the game and taking a brief lead with less than one minute to play.
- Each team made their final two shots of the game with less than 40 seconds to play in the game.
- The home team won each of the two head-to-head battles between the two teams this season, as Lynn was victorious in early January when the two sides faced off.
- After being outscored 19-5 in the opening quarter, Lynn outscored the Eagles in each of the final three frames.
Lynn kicks off the final home stand of the season on Wednesday night when Saint Leo makes the trip to Boca Raton. Game time is scheduled for 5:30 at the de Hoernle Sports and Cultural Center.