BOCA RATON, Fla. – Trailing by as many as 18 points, Lynn University's women's basketball team rallied to within four but could not send its seniors off with a victory, eventually falling 58-52 to Barry on Wednesday night. Seniors Paulo Vazquez and Mariah Penascino led the team in scoring and rebounds in their final regular-season game.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Barry 58, Lynn 52
Records: Barry (17-10, 10-9 SSC); Lynn (11-16, 7-13 SSC)
Location: de Hoernle Sports & Cultural Center | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn trails 31-21 all-time (Lost 66-56 on Jan. 17)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Poor shooting plagued the Fighting Knights early on as the team hit just 19.4% from the field and trailed by 17 points at the break. But the squad came out firing in the second half by hitting 61.5% to close the gap to nine points. The team's hot hand carried into the fourth quarter as Lynn moved to within four on two occasions.
- Vazquez tallied 13 points on 5-of-17 shooting, including 3-for-9 from downtown, and 12 rebounds, one block and three steals.
- Penascino was second on the squad with nine points and six rebounds in a team-high 37 minutes played.
- Kelsi Fizer came off the bench to shoot 3-of-5 from the field for eight points while playing solid defense with a game-high four steals.
- Lynn shot 31.8% from the field, 29.4% from three-point range and 45.5% from the line while Barry hit 41.5% of its shots, 29.2% from downtown and 50% at the charity stripe.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Vazquez recorded her second career double-double while her 12 boards are a career-high.
- Vazquez ends her career as one of the top three-point shooters in program history, ranking third in three percentage (.351), sixth in 133 career three-pointers made and seventh with 379 three's attempted, all in just two seasons.
- She also owns the single-season record for threes made (78) and attempted (212).
- Lynn has improved each year under head coach Julia Huddleston as the Fighting Knights have gone from four wins in 2015-16, 10 in 2016-17 and 11 this year.
- Penascino doubled her assist total from the previous year and became just the third player with 100 assists in a season since 2010.