BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's women's golf team hit a pure shot on the opening day of the 2018 Sunshine State Conference Championship, end the day third with a 302 despite heavy sustained winds that plagued the 11-team field all day. Matilda Wahren is tied for second and Jenny Ayala is tied for fifth, making the Fighting Knights one of three teams with two players in the top-five.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Standing: 3rd out of 11 teams
Location: Osprey Point Golf Course – Raven/Falcon | Boca Raton, Fla.
History at Event: 21st consecutive appearance (won in 2014; 7th last year)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn had a solid opening nine holes, shooting five-over as a team and ended strong with five birdies over its final four holes to shot a 302. The Blue and White are only five shots back of leader and top-ranked Nova Southeastern (297) and two strokes behind fifth-ranked Barry (300). Florida Tech (311) is fourth and Rollins (313) fifth.
- Wahren traded two birdies and three bogeys along with 13 pars. She was +2 after nine holes and went birdie, bogey, birdie and par to end her day. Her 73 is five-shots back of the leader Michelle Ruiz (-4) from NSU.
- Ayala had a great start to her morning, making birdie on her first hole. She bogeyed her next green and then again at No. 8 but hit the turn with a birdie on the ninth hole. Ayala kept it close on the back nine with three bogeys to card a three-over par 75.
- Kristina Ortiz and Helen Kreuzer each added scores of 77. Ortiz exchanged six bogeys and 11 pars through 17 holes but drained her only birdie putt of the day on the difficult 18th hole to move to 77.
- Kreuzer was only two-over at the turn but went through a rough patch of four consecutive holes of bogey or worse. She rallied back on the 15th hole with a birdie and sank her final bird also on the 18th green.
- Samantha Barber will look to improve on her second-half after a one-over par front nine and eight-over par back nine gave her an 81.
BEYOND THE SCORECARD:
- Six of the top-10 NCAA Division II teams in the country are represented in the Sunshine State Conference Championship, including NSU, Barry, fourth-ranked Saint Leo, No. 6 Florida Southern, No. 9 Rollins and No. 10 Lynn.
- Only Nova Southeastern and Barry had two golfers within the top-five.
- Lynn, though, is the only team to have four golfers shoot 77 or better.
- Individuals who finish in the top-five receive SSC All-Tournament recognition. The Fighting Knights have 16 All-Tournament selections but have never had an individual win a SSC title.
- Only one golfer had a better par 4 scoring than Wahren (-1) and one golfer was better than Ayala in par 5 scoring (-1).
- Kreuzer's three birdies is tied for second in the field with Wahren and Ayala each sinking two birdies apiece.
- Wahren's 13 pars are tied for second.
- Lynn leads the field in par 5 scoring (+1) and is third in par 4 scoring (+11).
The Fighting Knights have moved into the final grouping for the second round and will tee off beginning at 9:40 along with Nova Southeastern and Barry. Fans can keep up with live scoring at LynnFightingKnights.com.