BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's women's soccer team came up just short to Belmont Abbey, falling 1-0 in a rain and lightning delayed Saturday afternoon match. The Fighting Knights had three opportunities to knot the match but hit the post twice.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Belmont Abbey 1, Lynn 0
Records: Belmont Abbey (4-0-0), Lynn (2-2-0)
Locations: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads 3-1 all-time (Last met in 2011)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Lynn was outshot 15-11 but held a 5-3 advantage in corner kicks.
- Kiara Burga earned her first start in the net, stopping five shots while Belmont Abbey's Caroline Lauer turned away two shots.
- Allyson Elliott broke a scoreless tie in the 65th minute off an assist by Morgan Patton.
- Donish Henry-Cole had a pair of opportunities to even the match, smacking the post on each occasion while Nia Perkovich's header off a corner kick trickled just left of net.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Burga is the third different goalkeeper to start for the Blue and White this season.
- Henry-Cole has attempted at least four shots in two of the team's four matches.
The Fighting Knights have a week off before beginning Sunshine State Conference play at Florida Southern on Saturday, Sept. 15, at 7 p.m. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.