Boca Raton, Fla. – Lynn University's women's soccer team suffered a season-opening defeat to Catawba College on Saturday afternoon, falling by a 4-1 final score.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Catawba 4, Lynn 1
Records: Catawba (1-0), Lynn (0-1)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads 4-1
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Jovana Sanchez slotted home a PK in the sixth minute to put Catawba in front early.
- Probing her way through the midfield, Crystal Ayn Hagberg delivered a goal from distance in the 26th minute over the outstretched arms of Indian keeper Tyler Paciolla to level the score at 1-all.
- Catawba struck back in the 32nd minute after a rebound in the box was put away by Callie Hammond to put the Indians ahead 2-1 at the break.
- Carson Schoeppe added an insurance goal just after halftime with a curling left-footed shot from outside the 18.
- Katie Beck then punched home a PK in the 77th minute to cement the 4-1 final.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Hagberg's goal was the first of her career.
- Lynn totaled just one shot on goal, making the most of it with its lone tally.
- The Blue and White registered three shots, all of which came in the first half.
- Two of the four Indian goals came via penalty kicks after Lynn fouls inside the box.
- Fighting Knights goalkeepers Kiara Burga and Devan Malcolm combined to make 10 saves.
- This was the first official contest for Fighting Knight interim head coach Alex Greco.
The Fighting Knights are back in action on the road at Ave Maria on Wednesday, September 11 at 7 p.m.