Ave Maria, Fla. –Lynn University's women's soccer team shook off its home-opening defeat well on Wednesday night, downing the Ave Maria Gyrenes 4-0 on the road, helped by a hat-trick from Johanna Nilsson.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 4, Ave Maria 0
Records: Lynn (1-1), Ave Maria (1-4)
Location: Gyrene Field | Ave Maria, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads 2-0 (last meeting, 2017)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Nilsson netted three goals for the Fighting Knights, opening the scoring in the sixth minute with a tally set up by Jessica Archer. The senior attacker added one more to complete a first-half brace just before the 30-minute mark. She then finished off her three-goal effort in style, scoring in the final minute of the match.
- Anniina Sankoh led Lynn with five shots on goal and scored a second-half goal to get on the scoresheet for her 2019 campaign.
- Lynn's outshot the Gyrenes 17-6, holding a 12-4 advantage in shots on target. The Fighting Knights also held an 11-2 advantage in corner kicks.
- Molly Bryans totaled three shots in the midfield, one of which was on frame.
- Kiara Burga (1-0) played the full 90 minutes for the Blue and White, earning her first win of the season.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Nilsson's hat-trick is the first for the women's program since Donish Henry-Cole scored three times at Fla. Southern on October 28, 2017.
- Nilsson and Sankoh were both teammates at American International College before arriving in Boca Raton.
- This marks the first official victory for Fighting Knight interim head coach Alex Greco.
The Fighting Knights are back in action at home on Saturday, September 14, taking on Flagler at 6 p.m.