Boca Raton, Fla. – Lynn University's women's soccer team scored early and often on its way to a historic 5-1 win over Florida Tech on Tuesday night, earning a berth in the Sunshine State Conference (SSC) playoffs for the first time since 2012.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 5, Florida Tech 1
Records: Lynn (7-7-3, 3-4-3 SSC), Florida Tech (3-11-2, 1-8-1)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn trails Florida Tech 8-14-1
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Lynn wasted no time in a must-win situation as Saige Griffin found the twine just 14 seconds in to stake the Blue and White to a 1-0 advantage.
- Anniina Sankoh scored two of her three goals in the first half, putting the Fighting Knights up comfortably, ahead 3-0 after 45:00.
- The Panthers got one back in the 68th minute, but Lynn answered with two goals, Sankoh's third and a breakaway tally from Ariella Kaplan, in an 18 second span to put a bow on the win.
- Devan Malcolm earned the win, stopping nine shots, before giving way to Kiara Burga, who finished out the final 21:06.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- With the victory and a Palm Beach Atlantic loss, the women's soccer program qualifies for the SSC Tournament for the first time since 2012.
- Five goals are the most for the Blue and White since scoring five on Sept. 23, 2015 in an overtime win vs. No. 12 Barry. Lynn last scored five regulation goals in a conference match on Oct. 24, 2009.
- Sankoh's 19 goals are the most for the Blue and White program since Melissa Ortiz netted 17 in 2008.
- The win is the first for the Fighting Knights over the Panthers since Oct. 27, 2012.
Lynn awaits its opponent in the first round of the Sunshine State Conference (SSC) playoffs on Monday, Nov. 11.